Monday, February 27, 2012

WSWS

What She Wore Sunday...Two weeks ago anyway : /


My sweet little Valentine!

Lately:

* I don't know if I ever mentioned that my bro-in-law and his family moved to town, they live just down the road.  It is so fun to have them around, we have 3 boys and a girl, they have 3 girls and a boy. Kylie and Brody are 2 weeks apart Hudson and Jacob are 1 year apart (almost exactly) and Joslyn and Ashley are 4 months apart. The kids have fun together, A LOT of fun.  I love Natalie, she just might be the sweetest person on the face of the earth.  It's fun to have someone to share our Chinese take-out with. ;)



* I saw a recipe for homemade laundry detergent on a blog a couple of weeks ago.  I was interested because of the cost savings, these kids of mine make A LOT of laundry.  So I went to Wal-Mart and picked up all of the ingredients, called up Natalie and we got to work. 

The most "time consuming" (which wasn't all that time consuming 15 min tops!) part of this project was grating the pink Zote soap.  Then it was; dump a box of this and a box of that, mix, mix mix, done!

Here is the recipe if anyone is interested:
1 (4 lb 12 oz) box of Borax
1 (3 lb 7 oz) box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 (3 lb) container OxyClean
2 (14.1 oz) bars of Zote soap (pink or white)
2 (2 lb) boxes Arm & Hammer baking soda


Total cost about $20! Even better split it with a friend and it only costs $10.  $10 for all of that, the best thing it will last about 4x longer than your other detergent because you only need 1 1/2 -2 TBSP for 1 load!!


A few things:

I used a fine cheese grater to grate my soap, it dissolves better that way.

The OxyClean drives up the cost a bit, but is well worth it.

I bought the Downey UNstopables, it's an in wash scent booster, because I like (good) smelly laundry.  This is also a little bit pricey but 1-2 tsp does the trick.

Safe for sensitive skin

Safe for HE washing machines...I found the detergent didn't rinse out of the detergent tray very good, so now I just put it straight into the drum, it seems to work great.

I am a liquid detergent girl but this was worth a shot... there is a recipe out there for a homemade liquid detergent...maybe that will be the next experiment...I'll let you know. ;)

* The boys finished basketball on Saturday...it was fun. I actually like watching basketball. We are not skipping a beat though, now it's on to wrestling.  GAH! Wrestling...I know. Not my favorite sport but we are all about letting them try everything until they find their "thing". So the next 2 1/2 months are going to be crappy.  Practice Mon-Thurs between the two of them, and matches every Saturday...believe me we won't be to every one.

* Insanity is kicking my butt!!!

* In less than a week my oldest will be 10...10 Gah! Double digits! A Webelo! What! He just started scouting! He still has enough fingers to show his age though...fewsh!

* ONE of my kids decided my makeup brushes needed a "haircut" GAH!

* My poor sweet Grandma is in the hospital, sad, sad time. Tears every time I go see her.  : (

* Off to entertain my kids...no school today.



5 comments:

Jennie and Adam said...

I totally use that same powdered laundry soap! I started with the liquid a couple of years ago and found that I liked the powder a lot better--it's a lot easier to make up and store.
Joslyn is so cute--I love her heart shirt!
Good luck with the wrestling schedule :)

Pal & Hatty said...

How fun for your kids to have cousins so nearby! Cute pictures of your children! I am so sorry to hear about your grandma - she will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Amy said...

Fun times! It is fun having cousins nearby! How fun for your kids :). Nice work on homemade laundry soap. I bought borax to make slime :).

Jessica said...

First, I love Joslyn's outfit! And I've been wanting to make my own detergent too so thanks for the rec.

a farmers wife and her real life said...

I love her shirt! And I think I'm going to be trying out making laundry soap. Sounds easy enough!